3606 posts

Re: A Test!
Nov 25, 2013, 18:18
tiompan wrote:
tjj wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:

People can find great comfort in holding beliefs which cannot necessarily be proven, and I am not against that in any way.

... and indeed beliefs which might prove ill-founded. We don't want such people to come forward, we're not in the belief-shattering game.

I think the target participant is someone who amuses themselves, has no vast ego, thinks it may work for them sometimes but not always and would love to know how, why or whether.

Bump.
No takers yet.

Tony Robinson takes the challenge on the top of Adam's Grave in the Channel4 'Walking Through History' programme on Saturday. He specifically states beforehand that he is a sceptic.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/walking-through-history/episode-guide

What Tony did was what most people with an interest ,sceptics or otherwise , have done , i.e. just had a bash with the rods . And the most common experience is to find that they cross and open at specific points ,even repeatedly Dowsers seem to accept this as being meaningful and is caused by the detection of unrecordable energies ,as ms Wheatley said “The rod will detect something whether you believe or not “ .In this case , as in most cases , dowsers don’t claim to find anything specific so it must be a subtle energy and hence not a test . You try June it , the rods will almost certainly cross and recross .
The particular ley line referred to in the prog went from Stonehenge to Avebury ,this is one of the most obvious lines to check and countless maps have had that line pencilled in over the decades only to note , that despite the huge number of monuments in the area there is little significant on the line .And that includes Adams Grave , alternatively if you draw the line from Stonehenge (much smaller than Avebury and therefore more accurate ) to Adams Grave it misses the closest point to the Avebury monument ,which is quite a big target considering the distance is only 17 miles , by 530 metres and the centre of the monument by 700 metres .

It seemed to me that Maria Wheatley and the topic of ley lines were included, (along with the bit about crop circles) to give a 'rounded picture' of the area between Avebury and Stonehenge - so it wasn't just archaeo-speak. It was after all competing with the usually superficial fare normally served up on a Saturday evening. Agree - I was unconvinced by the experiment; also accept if you look at 'ley lines' on a smallish map the line appears to link important sites but in reality could be out by the distances mentioned in your post. I'm no mathematician and I know you are so I'll take your word for it.
I would mention though that Adam's Grave is an important Wiltshire monument for reasons other than ley-lines. Reputed to be the highest point in Wiltshire, if your stand at the end there are magnificent views of Knap Hill causewayed enclosure, Picked Hill, Woodborough Hill and the wonderful Wiltshire landscape. I walked up there on Saturday early in the day and can only say - standing there just looking felt mystical. I can't define what mystical means any more than I can offer evidence for ley lines. Some experiences are subjective rather than logical.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index