133 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rigil Kent
4 posts

Re: A feminist angle
Oct 02, 2006, 15:40
nidge wrote:
Hello people,
I have only been on here twice, so please allow for my naivety in responding. I have seen many posts that identify the persons gender, gender bias, cultural bias, political bias and ordinary bias. In Jamaican culture and folklore many places like streams, wells, hills, trees and rocks have ‘duppys’ (spirits) associated with them. The spirit of a place and its ‘duppy’ has a gender, e.g male or female. Springs, wells, and water are generally female. My ex-husband who was from Haiti informed me the same is true of his birth place. In my marital home we had a charm hanging over the front door to stop evil ‘duppys ‘ entering our home, the charm was from Haiti (voudon) and was, yes, a swastika. Please, I have to endure eurocentric racist attitudes in my everyday life, I expected better of educated, free thinking and reasonable people.
Love nidge.

Nice story Nidge, why ruin it at the end? I too have posted here for only the 2nd time. I've read this whole thread. I don't seem racism anywhere. Are you looking too hard for something that's not there? You have to find a better argument than saying that this site has euro centric or racist attitudes here. I am Anglo-Indian and I too have had my share of abuse . I don't see it here sister. (I'm female too)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index