133 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
CianMcLiam
CianMcLiam
1067 posts

Re: Sites...but no info
Sep 29, 2006, 18:03
whatisthat wrote:

Then say it out loud, Littlestone - 'I don't like the word'. Nigel said it. Better that way than assume the voice of the community. I'm sure SwastikaGirl would change her nick if even one or two people didn't like it by expressing their 'personal' view.

I have to say I don't like the word, wouldn't try and deter anyone from using it or expressing their love for its form/concept/kewlness/chip-on-shoulder-ammo-ness or whatever your havin yourself. But... I do have a right to draw inferences about the person using it for whatever reason they claim. Its not even a right, its downright human nature and a person using it (on this side of sanity) can only be very much aware that this particular symbol/word/concept has extremely strong popular connotations and must have made a decision, after taking that on-board, that they would use it anyway in this context. Does that tell you something further about the person? We have to decide as individuals I suppose.

Maybe its not my place to be openly judgemental on this but, even if its unsaid, if that's what you choose to represent yourself with you cannot possibly be unaware that it is in the popular magination a symbol of inhumanity, genocide, and oppresiveness. You cant just expect people to overlook that minor detail and cry foul when judged. Especially if you list as one of your dislikes: 'victims'. Whatever that is supposed to say about a person, I just dont know exactly.

Words had meanings in the past, and they have meanings now. The changes are almost always organic, they aren't officially re-assigned by dictionary publishers. If your politician/friend/familly member told you they were 'gay', wouldn't you feel cynically misled if they afterwards insisted they just meant they were happy?

I'm all in favour of people using whatever words/symbols they want but they have to accept any other stigma/baggage that goes with it if its a concious choice to represent themselves in this way.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index