Sites...but no info

133 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Mr Hamhead
Mr Hamhead
1020 posts

Re: Sites...but no info
Sep 29, 2006, 07:23
To be fair to Swastikergirl (or however you spell it!) the few sites she has added fieldnotes to...are very much along the TMA style..nothing offensive..I don't think it has anything to do with Lizards.

Whilewe wait for Goffs thoughts on wells. My view is that most of them are pre-christian and would have been worshiped as places where clean water "appeared" out of the ground. I also think that lots of people who visit stones etc visit wells..but does that mean we fill the site with them?

The difference betwen Swallowhead and St Cleer is plain to see (or would be if there was a picture of St Cleer on the site) St Cleer, like many other wells has been victorianised..it no longer looks old. Inbetween these two examples is St Nunns well in the West Looe valley..a wonderful place where the little well house is built into the side of the hill and the basin inside is covered in lichen and moss. It does have the pin throwing legend..and also is a place where faries abide...it is a magical place.....

...but I still feel we should keep TMA pre R***n and leave the wells to Goff...and to other sites not too far away.

Mr H
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index