Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Sites...but no info

133 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
jacksprat
jacksprat
284 posts

Re: Is SwastikaGirl a troll? I don't think so.
Oct 02, 2006, 10:43
Wo! I like some others, have only just picked up this thread and taken some time to read through it. It's all gone off hasn't it?

Just to throw in my two penneth worth: I personally have no problem with SG's name, as I would give her the benefit of the doubt that she chose it for it's spiritual connotations. Judging by her posts and sites it's something she's deeply passionate about and good for her.

However, I can see why the name would get some other people annoyed: Because of what it was adopted by and those who now use the symbol and also because of the trouble a certain now banned poster caused last year. I can't comment about her comments on feminism on the thread. Only to say that I am a man that has absolutely no problems with femenininininity. I am wearing FMJ's pants as I type...Sorry - that's just kinky not femineininnty. Joking aside..

As CianMcliam says - SG might have foreseen that her name might get some people's backs up, but hasused it anyway. Maybe she feels so strongly about her beliefs in the symbol and what it really stands for that she has adopted it anyway to advertise it's real meaning. Again, I think that's fair. There again, maybe she adopted it because she felt it would be accepted for it's true spiritual meaning here as she's amongst kindred spirits, so to speak, and didn't expect the backlash? Or - she's cantankerous and wants to cause trouble, but having read her posts, I think that's unlikely though.

The offensive word in question - Swastika - sounds german to me - the symbol was around centuries before the nazi's adopted it, did it have a less offensive name before? If so what was it? Maybe SG could alter her name? I'm not telling her to do so though! It seems a shame so many are at differences over this. I can appreciate why some are upset.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index