Sites...but no info

133 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

A feminist angle
Oct 01, 2006, 09:59
I've been trying to keep away from this thread as it's making my blood boil, but now I have to say something. (And I apologise to my TMA friends if this is construed as 'feeding the troll'). But there is a fundamental wrong here that needs righting.

When swastika girl says: "Wells are predominantly female in nature, while most of the contributors here are male and don’t relate to the nature of healing springs", I'd like to ask:
1 In what way are wells female exactly?
2 How is it that males can't relate to springs?
3 What are these healing properties?

As a woman who spends every day of her life fighting for women's rights, I have to say that unsubstantiated comments like this are highly counter productive and do the cause of true feminism (which is actually equalism) a massive disservice and turns many feminist/equalist men away from the cause - as if men can't be feminists! To say men can't be feminists is like saying anyone who isn't from an ethnic minority can't be anti-racist, or that heterosexual people are not qualified to fight homophobia, which is obviously a nonsense.

To keep up-to-date on evidence-based feminist thinking from around the world check out: http://feministcarnival.blogspot.com/

As a longstanding female member of TMA who's had the very good fortune to meet many of the regular contributors to this site, I can vouch for the fact that 99% of them are true feminist/equalists. Let's keep gender-based arguments out of TMA and concentrate on the stones and sites themselves.

As long as swastikagirl sticks to the TMA rules there should be no argument, except the healthy 'rough and tumble' debate which happens on this forum of course.
J
x
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index