The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Sites...but no info

133 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Re: Sites...but no info
Sep 29, 2006, 17:15
I don't mean to be a stirrer, SG, and I do very much like visiting holy wells, but you say "They predate megaliths in sanctity for very obvious reasons and those which have been sainted, or at least the great majority of such named wells, were previously pagan places".
By the first bit, do you mean that maybe in general, places where water comes out of the ground are special, because water is essential to life - but does it follow that people saw them all as sacred? Is it not just too general to say that? And your comment that because a place has a Christian saint connected with it implies a place of pagan significance - I suppose again that could be the case in some instances, but how do you know which ones? Besides, there are places of great Christian significance which probably had bugger-all pagan significance, eg Canterbury Cathedral (well I'm guessing anyway). Where do we decide to draw the line, because surely one has to be drawn somewhere?

And as another female poster, I would urge you to Stick About as there are few of us around here as it is. I'm sure a different viewpoint is useful, and it's not a matter of discouraging new posters - I think it's maybe a matter of proving your ideas, as anybody would have to do.

Erm. Anyway.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index