101 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
597 posts

Re: "Sacred" as a prehistoric adjec...
Aug 09, 2005, 09:55
Hi, Nigel,

Thanks. As ever, your contributions are well argued and interesting.

"It's the jumping about between what THEY thought and what WE think that's at the root of the problem."

Exactly.

"Just because a word for our modern feelings hasn't been invented doesn't mean we should wait for an old one to morph. Language develops not just by meanings morphing but also through new words popping up where needed. We owe it to English and mustn't shirk our duty."

Lordy, Lordy! The pressure! :-) I'll leave the development to those best suited, but.....

Many of my "numinous experiences" at megalithic sites - more at circles and tombs than "stand alone" stones tend towards the incredibly profound feeling of well-being, grounding and space, as if all my internalised energy is suddenly released from struggling with the day-to-day, and allowed to fill its rightful form. Other psychogeographic experiences - in more "civilised" and urban settings, are nowhere near as useful and positive (and some are downright black in shade and texture). Harmonic Landscapes and Harmonic Sites might work for me.... as long as its not perceived as too "New Age-y".

Peace

Pilgrim

X
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index