"Sacred" as a prehistoric adjective...

101 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Paulus
Paulus
769 posts

Re: "Sacred" as a prehistoric adjec...
Aug 08, 2005, 01:32
If y' know nowt of the 'sacred' (though I'm not too sure that you want to anyway) try William James' "Varieties of Religious Experience"; Richard Bucke's "Cosmic Consciousness"; Eliade's "Sacred and the Profane" +
"Myths, Dreams, Mysteries"; Grof's "Adventure of Self-Discovery"; Dudley Young's "Origins of the Sacred" (there's tons more) - if only to get a good frame of reference to it.

But quite frankly if you've not had a numinous experience, a decent transpersonal event or been thru a rite-of-passage (NOT one of the screwy New-Age things), you're obviously not gonna have a frame of reference to this 'ere 'sacred' bollox, other than to debate it. It's a bit like having an opinion on climbing Everest when you've never even seen the Himalayas - you can have your opinions & ideas on the old mountain, but that's all they are. You simply need the experience.

To me, a sense of the sacred is quite simple. It's a world, a cosmos - a living cosmos - that is healthy, organic, enriching and every aspect of it is instilled with subliminal beautitude. Easy poetic words I know - but if that's all they are to some people.....oh well... To people who don't perceive the world in that way, fair enough. But please try not to confuse the 'sacred' with religion - they're just manifest organisations trying to grasp it too hard, not unlike trying to catch the wind in the hills!
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index