The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
"Sacred" as a prehistoric adjective...

101 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rune
288 posts

Re: Neolithic Cathedral
Aug 08, 2005, 11:23
>>>However, when used comparativley "You might think of Avebury as being like a Neolithic Cathedral" It ain't too bad (even if it is inaccurate)
We need to allow the outsiders into our obsession and the easy way to do that is to allow them to identify with it. Using modern things to compare monuments is one way of doing it. The other is through documentaries with stooped men running around in skins going "Ug". I know which I prefer :-)<<<

I know, I ought to be a lot more tolerant, but the thought of one of "our" wonderful places being imbibed with "their" imagery, bigotry and dogmatism is anathema to me. "Cathedral" probably means something a lot nicer to Joe Public than it does to me. (Something along the lines of large edifice built by hypocrites for mind control purposes by taking money from those who could not afford it whilst lining their own pockets and promising eternal salvation for said poor people whilst living luxurious and often corrupt lifestyles)

>>>I often state that 'tombs' shouldn't be named as such, because they were so much more (especially as so many don't seem to have had burials in them.) <<<

Absolutely, that's the next term that grates, the exception being the Tomb of the Eagles in Orkney, the label fits somehow.

>>>Think of them as being more like Neolithic Churches :-) <<<

Aaaaaaarrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Just don't start on altar stones, sacrificial altars etc ;-)

Rune
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index