Rock Art Mystery

112 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Re: Rock Art Mystery
Oct 09, 2003, 18:26
Pity about that last post of yours Hob, I was just about to launch in with a merry jest about your antlers.

Anyhow, I wouldn't go wasting you antlers on anything hard. When hard stones were sculpted by the ancients it was with other hard stones. The Egyptians crafted granite by striking it with dolerite balls and then polished it with stone slips and water. I assume these techniques would be well known to many Stone Age cultures.

Incidentally, Mark Lehner (Egyptologist) tried to use a dolerite ball to chip away at some granite and gave himself a nasty ache in his wrist, silly man. I sent him an email telling him how to do it, but he didn't reply. :o( You have to let go of the ball a few inches from the surface so that it bounces back and then you catch it. It takes a bit of practice, but it don't arf save your wrists. Also, a bounce produces up to twice the force of a non-bouncing impact. I believe that the balls would have started out as cobbles and become approximately round through repeated use.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index