http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/3187#news

here's more:

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/press.office/press.release/content.phtml?ref=1065689993
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Rock Art Mystery
Oct 09, 2003, 16:13
20cm hemispherical depressions? Bullauns int they!
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Oct 09, 2003, 16:16
They are rabbit ears from an ancient rabbity culture.

Incidentally, this morning I heard a little girl asking her mother where all the rabbits were. "They've gone to rabbit school by now," was the reply. "On the rabbit bus."
Joanna
Joanna
658 posts

Re: rabbits
Oct 09, 2003, 16:20
Some time ago, my Mum found a (pet) rabbit just oustide her back garden in the alleyway. She didn't know whose it was, she was on her way to work, so she added it to the hutch in next door's garden which usually just contained a guinea pig.

I can only imagine the head scratching that occured when they went to feed the guinea pig that evening!
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Oct 09, 2003, 17:13
Wey, areckon ye wud knaa kidda!

I'd never heard of Bullauns till v recently.
Do you get sandstone bullauns?
Come to that, What kind of stone are the classic Northumberland cupnrings on?
Knowing nowt about geology, I was under the vague impression that the surviving stuff was on harder rock. The only sandstone one I've seen is protected from the elements at Prudhoe castle.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Oct 09, 2003, 17:22
Mainly limestone and granite. The natural depressions in limestone could have inspired them.

I've emailed the Uni guys with some questions and (possible) answers to this one.

I just learned of two bullauns in France right next to three tombs!
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Oct 09, 2003, 17:26
Nice one. The idea of continuity in the rock art up in them lovely hills makes me happy. P'raps there were more, but the sandstone ones will be long gone by now unless they were unusually protected in some way.

BTW, limestone and deer antler, maybe, but granite and deer antler? Howay! Surely it would take a whole herdsworth to make one little cup.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Oct 09, 2003, 17:30
Not made with deer antler, done with something much simpler. But that's a different story and maybe even a paper :-)
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Oct 09, 2003, 17:36
Iv'e just got a couple of antlers as it happens, I'm gonna go carving just to see. (Such is my dedication to science that I'm sacrificing a potential stupendously silly hat) Most of the stone I have at present is sandstone, with a few unidentified bits of well interesting, but not really cupnring substrate.
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Oct 09, 2003, 17:39
<Iv'e just got a couple of antlers as it happens>

No I haven't.

<Iv'e just been GIVEN a couple of DEER antlers as it happens. >

That's what I meant. Anyone who says I've got antlers is lying. Any implication that I used to have more is also false.
Pages: 12 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index