122 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Re: Sound Advice
Sep 09, 2003, 23:04
"The dowser cannot do anything without a rod, pendulum or hazel twig."

I'm afraid that's not true. I can dowse with my thumbs. To get an idea of the method, hold your hands out in front of you with your fingers outstretched. Touch each finger of the left hand to the corresponding finger of the right hand and thumb to thumb. Now increase the pressure on your thumbs so that they move backwards towrads you and raise them slightly. You should be able to find a position at which they will suddenly flick upwards and forwards. The normal dowsing position is just before this occurs, so that any "reaction" is detected by this flick. It's not as sensitive as rods, but I have used it to find drains when rods were not available.

The hazel twig is usually either a natural Y shape or a twig split down the middle and bound a few inches from the end to prevent it from splitting further. In use the ends are bent outwards and held fairly loosly in the hands which are held out almost in line with each other. In this position a very small rotation of the wrists will cause the twig to rotate in a most spectacular manner, but there is nothing mysterious about how the actual motion occurs.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index