energy grid ?

122 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Re: energy grid ?
Sep 05, 2003, 14:43
Hmm... I don't like to lend encouragement to this obviously misguided individual, but...

Like you FW, I don't hold with this sort of mumbo-jumbo proof-less assertion of so-called "facts" that seems to infest "New Age" thinking. I am a scientist by training and as such I remain highly skeptical in the absence of reasonable evidence. However, I have used dowsing successfully on many occasions to locate water courses, drains, etc. So, given such first-hand evidence, I have to believe that there is a reasonable scientific explanation for the dowsing phenomenon.

Experiments were done about 30 years ago (sorry I don't have the references) to try to determine just what the dowser (or his apparatus) was reacting to. The conclusion was that the body of the dowser had a reaction to small thermal variations and that these reactions were concentrated at the base of the spine. Minute "twitches" in the muscles of this region are amplified by the length of the spine and arms and detected by the finely balanced apparatus that the dowser is holding. The apparatus is really unimportant; anything that involves a critical balance will suffice (even plastic coathangers, FW ;-)). I can do it by just putting my outstretched hands palm down with the tips of both forefingers touching and then pressing my thumbs together so that they are at the point of springing upwards.

It is my theory that there is a small, but continuous flow of heat energy from the earth's core (the mantle is surprisingly thin when compared to the size of the Earth) and that underground phenomena like streams, fissures, archaeological remains, etc. interfere with this otherwise uniform energy flow to produce a sort of "heat image" of what's below the surface. The images would be very faint and there is much background noise from air currents, etc.

I think that one reason why scientific instruments are unable to measure this effect is similar to why computers cannot recognise speech in a noisy environment, like a party, and yet humans can (at least some of the time). The brain is extremely good at recognising patterns and can do so in the presence of an amazing amount of background noise.

So, in my view it's not magic and it's not some mysterious energy possessed by the stones themselves, It's just heat. I wouldn't mind having a go with an ultra-sensitive thermal imaging camera to see if it's possible to detect anything at all. The trouble is, I don't think TI cameras are sensitive enough, yet.

Having said all that, I can see no plausible explanation for people being able to dowse from maps.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index