Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
a feeling : no really new music can be recorded any more.

113 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

new different original experimental . . .
Aug 29, 2008, 20:14
You are absolutely right, our discussion of "music" usually means "recorded music of the English-speaking world".

And the line between "pop" and "art" music is also very problematic. Probably has more to do with the audience than the sound itself . . .

But I guess one thing that has changed over time is that the two concepts are much more separated -- people used to talk about pop songs by the Beatles et al as "art" in a way that no one would when discussing Cheryl Crow (for example.)

I can even imagine a bunch of hipsters in 1969 sitting around talking about whether Stockhausen is a genius or a joke -- what would be the equivalent discussion today? Are there any "art music" people who are well known enough that regular folks could even have an opinion?

But then again, back in those days people didn't question the concept of "whether new music is even possible" . . .

I usually don't go for "end of history" arguments, but I can't help coming back to the idea that "the age of music" is ending and "the age of TV screens" is ascendent. (Just as "the age of novels" was ended by radio & film, etc.)

For that matter, "newspapers" are another media format that is dying quickly. It probably all flows from economics!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index