Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
a feeling : no really new music can be recorded any more.

113 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

Re: a feeling : no really new music can be recorded any more.
Aug 31, 2008, 11:04
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:

Folk music has survived for hundreds of years on the same basic tunes and just lyrics being updated and given a new twist;

that's quite a sweeping statement ... do you mean "english folk song", or all folk music around the world? stuff like that can change form pretty quickly ... like when they banned the use of instruments in the scottish highlands, someone had to invent mouth music ... and so much folk music is, y'know, instrumental ... i'd make a sweeping statement that maybe folk music survives for a long while on the same TUNES, but it's the musical presentation that often makes it new (like Konono No1 or something) ... i'm not really sure what i'm on aabout, so i'll stop here

but, yeah, new stuff's happening all the time - just a matter of finding it - but most straight rock music is pretty moribund these days (it's had its golden age + been trailing off for a while) + it's the lunatics on the fringes who are gonna be doing something useful ... i've only skimmed this thread, but someone mentioned Lighning Bolt = hell yeah, look no further - they're taking it + putting a huge rocket up its arse + it's beautiful + hyper-rocking + life-affirming + NEW
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index