Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
a feeling : no really new music can be recorded any more.

113 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9564 posts

Edited Aug 31, 2008, 17:03
Re: a feeling : no really new music can be recorded any more.
Aug 31, 2008, 14:32
Yeah, I know what you’re saying, Ian, but just want to make a few points.

*Not* everyone has great ideas. Or certainly, not enough of them to make a career out of it.

The work ethic is something entirely different, and your U2/E&TB example is the one I would use, too.

But that doesn’t make U2 any better for that, or the Bunnymen any worse.

Just poorer! ; )

(Interestingly in view of your comments re Englishness, the successful act here are Irish. The others are English!)

But I only need to look closer to home though to see another great example. Of course, it’s only that drive that stopped me being up there with the greats, Ian! ; )

As for Peel…he played what he liked. I certainly went through spells where I thought the quality dipped as Peel seemed more intent on playing something because it was 3 unheard of lads from Rotherham who had a good band name rather than whether it was one of the best things out at that time. But I think we’re all guilty of that to a lesser degree (well anyone who likes discovering new music, and I still do). But none of this alters the fact that Peel introduced to some great music. And being there doing what he did, he probably inspired a lot, too.

As for the single. I’ll have to disagree. I love singles and albums. And albums just make you lazy cos you don’t have to get up and change the things all the time!

Anyway, The Day The World Turned Dayglo has brought me far more pleasure than Sgt Peppers ever has. And I like The Beatles…

PS Not sure Magazine are the best example here. Surely – as great as those first 3 Magazine LP’s are (and they really, really are!) – Howie could be classed as one of the great under-achievers of our time!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index