Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
a feeling : no really new music can be recorded any more.

113 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Aug 28, 2008, 17:21
Re: a feeling : no really new music can be recorded any more.
Aug 28, 2008, 17:19
That's not what I gleaned from his post myself, but it was a facetious comment anyway, so what the heck. Personally I've more or less given up looking for the shock of the new - I can't point to any one genre of music right now that I could define as being on the cutting edge, but there are still plenty of disparate delights emanating from all over the genrescape.

Some of my favourite LPs of recent months have actually been highly derivative (like the Black Angels and Spectrum Vs Captain Memphis - the latter earns originality points merely for sounding like two entirely seperate albums crowbarred into one, but I still love it), whilst others - like the Fuck Buttons' "Street Horrrsing" - can't immediately be traced back to specific sources but still feel like part of an avant-electronic lineage nonetheless.

The other question I'd have to ask is whether music actually has to be innnovative in order to justify its existence. If that were so, then I'd agree that there hasn't been much music of note released recently, but I also feel that in terms of music's subjective appeal to the listener, originality is only part of the picture.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index