Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
a feeling : no really new music can be recorded any more.

113 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Shock of the new . . .
Aug 28, 2008, 21:45
It is obnoxious -- everything is mixed to have "maximum impact" when heard in the background during TV advertisements (cuz what else is music good for?)

The "loudness wars" have been discussed around here before . . .

It also seems to me that the "quality" of music has declined tremendously since the 1980's. Remember when popular songs actually had "chords and melodies"?

At some point the basic building blocks of pop tunes were reduced to "hooks" and then finally to just "samples" . . . a beat, some wooshy electronic sounds, a hot blonde writhing in the video* . . . and they wonder why no one buys records anymore!

(* or the rockist equivalent: bunch of young dudes with assorted hairstyles, tattoos and metal things in their faces scream and jump up and down in slow motion to generic stadium metal riffs that sound like Journey only louder. They might as well use samplers. Maybe they already do, who could tell?)

And I know this is not just "because we're getting older" --

These were the top 5 singles from exactly 40 years ago this week (before I was born) -- any tunes here you know how to hum?

1. People Got To Be Free - The Rascals
2. Born To Be Wild - Steppenwolf
3. Light My Fire - Jose Feliciano
4. Hello, I Love You - The Doors
5. Sunshine Of Your Love - The Cream

And here's the top 5 from this week in 2007 -- how many of these songs will still be remembered 40 years from now? (I've already forgotten all of them!!)

1. Timbaland featuring Keri Hilson - The Way I Are
2. Fergie - Big Girls Don't Cry
3. Plain White T's - Hey There Delilah
4. Kanye West - Stronger
5. Sean Kingston - Beautiful Girls
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index