Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
a feeling : no really new music can be recorded any more.

113 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Shock of the new . . .
Aug 28, 2008, 18:56
I still experience the "shock of the new" all the time . . . usually listening to old music that I haven't heard before.

"It's new to me."

I'm a fan of both of those new ones you mentioned -- lately I have just discovered the new MATMOS album "Supreme Balloon" which is the best analog electro avant pop record I've heard since the 70's heyday of Kraftwerk & Cluster! (Never heard anything else by Matmos before -- I probably need to.)

"But is it new?"

Maybe not, but he does have "an original approach to an old sound" . . . likewise I love the stuff Steve Malkmus & His Jicks are up to these days -- "Pavement meets The Groundhogs as produced by Lindsay Buckingham", except that it sounds like nobody but Malkmus. It's not new, but it's original (or is it the other way around?)

As for shock-of-the-new records from this decade (that really don't sound particularly like anything from the past) I would nominate LIARS ("Drowned" and "Drum" in particular) and SCOTT WALKER's "THE DRIFT" (which is very artsy and has very little to do with "rock" -- but it sure is "new and different.")
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index