Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
a feeling : no really new music can be recorded any more.

113 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Edited Aug 28, 2008, 19:50
Re: a feeling : no really new music can be recorded any more.
Aug 28, 2008, 19:50
Moon Cat wrote:
It might well be that bands playing rigidly within certain genre confines - be it punk, hip-hop, metal et al - may well be just regurgitating the past.
But it seems to me that we are in the age of the mash-up - mixing stuff up. I don't even think this is a conscious thing on behalf of artists to 'move music forward' as such - indeed, I think the results of such a thing would in all likeliness be truly horrible. However, so many forms of music have gradually been assimilated into some kind of musical consciousness that it's almost inevitable that artists have absorbed a wide range of stuff, and by instinct, might be open to the idea of mixing things up a bit. Hence you get stuff like drum n bass mixed with metal.

Also, I think the idea of 'no new music' is perhaps a slightly jaded view of what might constitute Western, and probably, British or American popular music. I've certainly been exposed to more music of late that's taking in more European and "World" (sorry but couldn't think of another term as patronising as it is) influences as well as folk and jazz than I've ever been and I'm not even trying hard to seek 'new' music. And this is a two-way street.

I think 'new' might not be as helpful a term as 'different' anyway. x

I agree.

I think the average person's ear is quite sophisticated harmonically, melodically, and rhythmically.

I think the next step will be the greater fusing of genres with skill.

Jazz and classical have backed themselves into corners with orthodoxy.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index