Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
a feeling : no really new music can be recorded any more.

113 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 28, 2008, 19:00
Re: a feeling : no really new music can be recorded any more.
Aug 28, 2008, 15:01
starcar wrote:
I have a sneaking suspicion that all in music has been said and done. we had it all, from several - hour - long instrumental, ambient music via industrial sounds to 2 minute punk rock anthems: all that is releaes nowadays is just an addition to that.
my personal evidence : if you ask me about music in the new millenium, there is nothing new and fresh I could really remember.
we were born late.

Wah - Wah

I hear a lot of newly recorded music that has a lot to offer. I don't hear much that changes my mind about anything but that doesn't mean it's not there for our collective pleasure. Some of it stays on my proverbial turntable longer than a couple of spins.

That said when it comes to rock music (of any genre) we are where jazz was around 1980 with three strands -

Old chaps still touring on the back of long careers but not selling any of their new music

Younger artists taking a very traditional, artistically safe and conservative route to no little success but with little or no artistic merit

The crazy fuckers who sell bugger all records but are still actively messing with the envelope of where the music could and should be going.

When the first lot die the second lot become the mainstream and third lot get day jobs if they didn't have them already. So it all just reinforces the idea that familiarity is what sells and so the familiar and the nostalgic is what people produce. The truely adventurous artists' community gets smaller and smaller. And then dies,

My problem is simply that there is waaay too much music coming my way - new exciting artists, boots of old artists, reissues etc etc. I probably see the equivalent of 20 new albums a week land on my desk that would be of interest to me but I can't listen to any where near as much of it as I like so it just sits there scowling at me. And as soon as you poke your head into MySpace the problem just magnifies x 1000. I could sacrifice listening to all my old passions to make time for these bright new things but why would I do that?
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index