fat_fleet
fat_fleet
146 posts

Edited Mar 11, 2013, 23:52
Re: MBV
Mar 11, 2013, 23:49
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
I do.
There was what felt like a delicate balance of elements on Isnt Anything between yer heavy indie rock and yer avant garden. I hate trying to describe music in these sorts of terms but that'll have to do.
Tracks like Soft as snow and I can see it (but I can't feel it) sound like no other band could have made them. The drums on nothing much to lose are 'kin superb. The album was full of moments and ideas.
Whereas loveless for me sounded bland, perhaps deliberately with its eyes to the floor, attempting to capitalise on one idea only. It was like taking one idea, one approach and bludgeoning it to see what that produces. I know many love the album but it didn't have the same level of, sounds naff, but 'craft' for me. It's like a huge blanket of sound, of the same colour, type, feel.

I know I'm responding to stuff that was written over a month ago but I thought Loveless was absolutely phenomenal at the time, and to me it seemed a huge artistic leap from Isn't Anything. One review I read at the time said "Like Sonic Youth french kissing the Cocteau Twins in hell". Seeing them live I was actually a little disappointed that they couldn't completely match the sonic depth of the album, but now I'm just glad I saw 'em. Don't think they made it across the pond much then.

The thing that disappointed me a little about mbv is that it sounded so much like a second (inferior) Loveless. It just seemed wrong to me that a band whose sound evolved so much in two years would have nothing to show for twenty.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index