MBV

74 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Jasonaparkes
Jasonaparkes
876 posts

Re: MBV
Mar 09, 2013, 13:56
I was kind of underwhelmed by the LP - it could be Lush, Pale Saints, Boo Radleys etc...though it's not unpleasant and perfectly nice to listen to. But can't help think Kevin Shields was left behind by folk exploring further sonic possibilities (e.g Boards of Canada, Omni Trio, Royal Trux, Earth, Sunn O))) etc)

I refused to go and watch them when they had no new material a few years ago as I saw them in 1991 at the Town & Country Club (with Sonic Boom supporting) and then on the Rollercoaster tour. But gave in as there were rumours of a new LP and they were playing Brum...

Went last night and thoroughly enjoyed it, the setlist was something like: 1. I Only Said 2. When You Sleep 3. A new one - either track 1 or track 5 on mbv 4. You Never Should (an early one, couldn't make out the vocals)5. Honey Power 6. Cigarette in Your Bed 7. Only Tomorrow (I think that's the title of track 2 on mbv) 8. Come in Alone 9. Only Shallow 10. To Here Knows When 11. Nothing Much to Lose 12. Thorn 13. Slow 14. Soon 15. Feed Me With Your Kiss 16. You Made Me Realise/Holocaust 17. Wonder 2.

The 02 Academy in Brum often sounds awful - one time I ended up walking out of a Dinosaur Jr gig there, but MBV sounded fine. You couldn't make the vocals out on lots of songs, which kind of ruined songs like Slow and Honey Power where Kevin and Blinda have vocal-interplay.

I took ear-plugs, but for the most part it sounded better without them. Lovely projections and good to see some new material in there (3 whole songs!)and I liked the way they didn't bother walking off to walk back on for an encore. Nothing Much to Lose was very harsh, sort of like a C-86 band chanelling early Swans and Soon was endlessly lovely. My co-gigger thought I Only Said sounded like Can (he is a bit deaf) and Honey Power was quite Sonic Youth...

The double-whammy of Feed Me With Your Kiss and You Made Me Realise was fantastic, though the Holocaust-section seemed much louder than the rest of the set. It did sound like Neil Young's Arc/TG's Wall of Sound colliding with 8 supersonic jets taking off at the same time and unlike Sunn O))) and TG, it became uncomfortable so I popped the ear-plugs in for that.

Liked the way they ended on a new song where all the band members seemed to be playing guitar - the recent material was much better live. Probably a classic gig and not just about the past !!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index