MBV

74 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9574 posts

Re: MBV
Feb 05, 2013, 10:04
R K Withnell wrote:
Why so much fuss about a silly little band who couldn't play, couldn't write songs, had no stage presence & disguised their ineptitude & lack of passion by performing at colossal volume through approximately six zillion effects pedals, bought for them by their stupid record company?
They are the epitome of the triumph both of mediocrity & of style over substance. There's any number of proper bands out there who wipe their proverbial arses with the efforts of these perennial media darlings, darlings.

Of course they could write songs! Take away the effects and Shields has a great way with melody. Melodies that have a real aching beauty about them.

As for sage presence...I saw them live in '89 and they were really good. Admittedly Shields didn't come on in baco-foil suit, telling us we were a great audience whilst waving a flag in front of an expensive live show, but then I wasn't expecting that.

Using terms like 'proper bands' always fills me with dread. I don't know what a 'proper band' is. Please enlighten us cos the image I get is of people who burnt those disco records all those years ago.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index