Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Mr Crowley
Mr Crowley
184 posts

Re: MBV
Feb 05, 2013, 19:51
keith a wrote:
Mr Crowley wrote:

Didn't Loveless come out after all the genuinely interesting bands who had that sound plus the actual material to back it up which MBV never had? I was on a forum yesterday and groups like early Curve, Ride, Slowdive (mentioned above) Parchman, Spacemen 3, Ultra Vivid Scene, The Charlottes, Blind Mr Jones,Band of Susans, Bleach, Bang Bang Machine, King of the Slums, The Telescopes et al were all thought to be far more interesting than MBV.

On the other hand you could say that a number of those acts released stuff after earlier MBV releases.

I like a number of those groups above, but as much as I like, say, Bleach I thinks it's a huge leap to say that they were more interesting than MBV. I didn't mind The Telescopes but they weren't evn in the same league and I'm struggling to think why King Of The Slums are even included there. I love that Vicious British Boyfriend 12" ep, but it's in a totally different world to MBV. Surely it's got more in common with The Fall than MBV?

All I can say is as someone who was around at the time of Loveless release and who owned records by a number of the above, Loveless sounded - to my ears at least - miles ahead of the rest. It genuinely sounded years ahead of its time.

It takes all sorts and that's what the general discussion was about. I didn't think Loveless was a classic then and having bought and listened to the recent remasters, don't think it is now.

Isn't Anything is better IMO as they sort of stopped writing "songs" after that... Loveless is nice, but... I don't think the sum of their output merited more than some of the above, perhaps less so in some cases but that's one mans position and all that.

I loved them live but still thought there were better at the time. Sonic Youth, Spacemen 3, Swans, etc., were all doing it better on record and live for these ears. Reverb sure can cover up a lot of things!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index