Unsung Forum »
MBV

74 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9574 posts

Re: MBV
Mar 11, 2013, 19:58
I saw them in Manchester last night. Personally I had a few issues with the sound. And the drummer! He's too showy for my liking tbh and though the drum sound wasn't as bad as the 2009 shows it still sounded too clattery at times. I can only think that Kevin is so wrapped up in trying to (re)create his guitar sounds that he has shut out the ham-fisted tub-thumping that is intruding over his wall of sound! Shields vocals were way too low in the mix. I presume he goes for that effect but this was such that you had to fill most of the gaps in yourself, whilst Belinda's vocals were a bit muffled at times. This was a shame because there were some great guitar sounds, especially on those classic Loveless tracks.

The extended feedback bit in You Made Me Realise wasn't as long as the 20 min versions last time around, but still went on too long. Come on you've been there and done that - and it wasn't that great first time around! The last number with all four members on guitars sounded like an Inter City 125 gathering momentum as it sped along the tracks, with the barely discernible vocals sounding like the wind blowing under the carriages.

I know this sounds negative, but I had a good night. Ultimately though I don't think MBV should be playing venues that size. Some bands can clearly carry this off, but MBV just don't suit them IMO.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index