Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Edited Feb 06, 2013, 10:06
Re: MBV
Feb 06, 2013, 09:42
Moon Cat wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:
sotto voce: It might be blasphemous but I prefer "Isnt Anything" to "Loveless".

Same here!
I love IA, and was bitterly disappointed when I heard Loveless. I went back to it time and again to try to find what everybody else seemed to find in it but couldn't, i'm afraid.
Isn't anything is a superb record.

The difference for me is I 'like' "Isn't Anything?" and "Loveless" I find 'interesting', if you see what I mean?

I do.
There was what felt like a delicate balance of elements on Isnt Anything between yer heavy indie rock and yer avant garden. I hate trying to describe music in these sorts of terms but that'll have to do.
Tracks like Soft as snow and I can see it (but I can't feel it) sound like no other band could have made them. The drums on nothing much to lose are 'kin superb. The album was full of moments and ideas.
Whereas loveless for me sounded bland, perhaps deliberately with its eyes to the floor, attempting to capitalise on one idea only. It was like taking one idea, one approach and bludgeoning it to see what that produces. I know many love the album but it didn't have the same level of, sounds naff, but 'craft' for me. It's like a huge blanket of sound, of the same colour, type, feel.

But then again I always preferred the Telescopes anyway, esp the first album 'taste' and the subsequent eps. The creation album was dodgy though. Stephen Lawrie is the true 'genius' from that period for me.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index