Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 08, 2012, 17:30
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 7 October 2012 CE
Oct 08, 2012, 17:17
machineryelf wrote:
Given the choice between Muse and some of the godawful Sabbath clones and mockpysch that passes for serious music in some parts I'll take Muse everytime

I watched the Muse set at the Paralympic send-off mainly because I wanted to see/hear the Paralympic orchestra in action. The mix didn't really favour them after the intro to their section and it was hard to hear what was orchestra what was band and what was loops /samples. Anyway, I was impressed by their stadium craft but the songs didn't really stick overnight. "Later" was better and
I might try an album just to see if it resonates but I think the getting-excited-by-a-new-rock-band ship has probably sailed for me.

What's missing for me is that none of this stuff (from the mighty stadium fillers to the smallest out on the farest margins) has a compelling reason to exist other than as personal expression and maybe on some kind of sub-cult level. Every band out there could stop playing shows tomorrow and the world could very easily sail on unchanged and unbothered. There are exceptions of course but over the last few years it just seems like live rock n roll is another undifferentiated branch of the entertainment industry where people go to a gig to be seen to be going to a gig and to be able to social network their presence at that gig. Don't see too many audiences really connecting with what is happening on stage or vice versa. Maybe it was always thus and it is just an age thing. Records still crank my handle from time to time.

BTW the mockpsych / retro clone stuff doesn't really work for me either though all the moreso since having a go at making music in that vein.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index