Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 7 October 2012 CE
Oct 08, 2012, 08:51
IanB wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
Muse - The 2nd Law
This won't be popular round here I know, but I think it is brilliant.

Is this the first record of their's that you have liked? I saw the bass player on Later with the great sound and the built-in kaos pad and liked the mixture of Prince, Neneh Cherry and Queen. Is it all like that?

My daughters listen to them so they have had an ambient presence at home for years but none of it stuck my ears as being meant for me. Not memorable enough in the songwriting department. I am not one to go looking for the avant garde in the wrong places and I still think The Bends is Radiohead's best record so I am not adverse to what comes out of rock's "centre left". Let me know what you made of it.

Mr Elf has described my opinion pretty much exactly. Our boys love them. The previous two albums are great fun, very well crafted. Black Holes is probably the best. Earlier albums are OK but relatively under-developed. I love their over-blown nature - our eldest recently referred to them as "our generation's glam", which I thought was spot on. They wear their influences on their sleeves and do a good job of it.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index