Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 7 October 2012 CE

47 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 7 October 2012 CE
Oct 07, 2012, 16:12
Elvis Presley - You'll Never Walk Alone
Elvis Presley - How Great Thou Art (I like this album mostly for the fact that it gave Elvis a chance to record music that mattered to him during an era when he was contractually obliged to churn out mostly inane film soundtracks. But I do find it disappointing that he approaches the first half with a solemnity bordering on the comatose. If only he'd sourced the passion with which he interpreted 'You'll Never Walk Alone', hammering away at the piano as he sang, it would be the masterpiece that many claim it is. Side two is an improvement, with his own arrangement of 'Run On' up there with the re-titled versions by Bobbie Gentry and Johnny Cash. Strangely, the budget LP 'You'll Never Walk Alone' is on the whole a far more satisfying collection of spiritual recordings, despite featuring a couple that originate from those dreaded movies).
Elvis Presley - Elvis Sings Guitar Man (unreleased 1967 LP; the 'come-back' could have happened a year early had this been actually released - several of the highlights, including his hypnotic version of Dylan's 'Tomorrow Is A Long Time', were recorded during the 'How Great Thou Art' sessions, so at least he took the opportunity to also lay down some decent secular material at the same time)
Elvis Presley - Almost In Love (Always enjoy this - he was getting quite funky on his later soundtracks)

The Beach Boys - Live In London (had to play this after seeing them in London a couple of days before. They are on excellent form here, at a time when their popularity had waned alarmingly in their home country).
The Beach Boys - Greatest Hits (1970)
The Beach Boys - Stack O'Tracks
The Beach Boys - The Beach Boys (1985) (Thought I'd give this another try, my least favourite Beach Boys album. It has a couple of nice songs, but Ian Levine's production is totally unsympathetic. I even prefer the hated 'Summer In Paradise', because artificial as it is, at least the harmonies sound organic and not recorded one voice at a time the way Levine stupidly insisted).

Richard Swift - The Novelist/Walking Without Effort

The Stranglers - 10

The 13th Floor Elevators - The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators

The Turtles - Turtle Soup

The Kingsbury Manx - Aztec Discipline

Stereolab - Mars Audiac Quintet

Beethoven - Symphony No.9

Kaleidoscope - Faintly Blowing

Micah P.Hinson - Micah P.Hinson & The Opera Circuit

The Walker Brothers - Take It Easy With...
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index