47 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Edited Oct 07, 2012, 10:17
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 7 October 2012 CE
Oct 07, 2012, 10:16
Fennesz 'Vienna' - found this fabulous slice of experimental electric guitar magic via the Sylvian compilation 'Sleepwalkers' with which it shares a track. If you like 'No Pussyfooting' you'll love this;

John Cale 'Guts' - good Island years compilation, but some of these songs freak me out in a not positive way;

The Beatles 'Revolver' - punchy as owt in mono. Take away 'Yellow Submarine' and you've got a pretty perfect record;

Van Morrison 'Born To Sing: No Plan B' - not the return to form that some reviews will have you believe, and bugger all to do with any jazz I've ever heard (despite the Blue Note connection), but there's a few lovely songs and good musicianship on show here, and Mr Grumpy himself has fewer off-key moments than he's demonstrated on most of his recent records;

Can 'Can' and 'Rite Time' - took a chance on these late Can records when they appeared in HMV's two for £10 campaign. And you know what, they're really not at all bad, if lacking in the experimentation of the early classics;

Grateful Dead 'Spring 1990: So Glad You Made It' - truncated 2CD edition of the ludicrously expensive and voluminous new 1990 tour box. The hyperbole accompanying this release is to some extent justified: there IS some fine playing here particularly from Garcia and Brent Mydland. Cool take on the Stones' 'The Last Time', but alas no Dark Stars this late on.

Man 'Kingdom Of Noise' - very poor album from five years back featuring more ex-members' offspring than original personnel. Martin Ace gamely tries to hold it all together but his own singing is pretty dreadful. Avoid.

Beethoven 1, 3 and 7 (Anima Eterna/Jos van Immerseel) and his Op.12 Violin Sonatas played by Immerseel and Midori.

Bach 'Well Tempered Klavier' - stunning new ECM recording by Andras Schiff that trounces his always enjoyable mid-80's Decca set: this is about as satisfying as Bach playing gets in my book.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index