Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 07, 2012, 13:17
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 7 October 2012 CE
Oct 07, 2012, 07:35
The Unthanks With Brighouse And Rastrick Brass Band - Diversions, Vol. 2
Never the greatest singers compared with some of their less feted contemporaries but this is a gorgeous record.

Ida- My Fair, My Dark
This could be its American bookend.

Julian Cope - Woden
Woe. Din.

Sweet - Level Headed
Strange but enjoyable attempt at acoustic prog pop. No monster riffs, lots of swirly synths, fanfares and disco figures with (The?) Sweet playing and writing at what I would guess to be the limit of their abilities at that time. It even has Richard Harvey on it. Sounds like the Rubinoos trying to make a 70s Queen album but not in a bad way.

John Martyn - Grace & Danger (deluxe)
Lots to love in the singing and the songs but this never sounded all that great to me. A bit too 80s wine bar in the production (FFS of all the interesting things you can do with a fretless bass why do *that*?!). Would be brilliant if it sounded a bit more like "Broken English" and less like the score to Gregory's Girl. The deluxe edition is kind of like the two version, before-and-after-Blackwell, re-release of "Catch A Fire" from a few years back.

Michel Petrucciani - The Complete Blue Note Recordings
Amazon digital bargain of the week. Seven Blue Note albums. £6.

Lalo Schifrin - THX 1138 (soundtrack)
The Soul Of O.V. Wright
Simple Minds- Radio Sessions 1979 - 1982
Robert Wyatt - Nothing Can Stop Us
Various - Radio On OST (self compiled playlist, not sure there ever was a real soundtrack album)

and from the classical department ...

Various - Kirchner, Music Expressions
Really nice compilation of German fin de siecle and Weimar music put together by the Royal Academy a few years ago for the Kirchner exhibition. Highly recommended toe-in-water sampler of really good performances if you can find it on EBay etc. If nothing else you get to hear where Hollywood found its sound palette in the pre and post WW2 years.

Chicago Symphony Orchestra & Fritz Reiner - Bartok : Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta

John Adams - Busoni : Berceuse Elegiaque

Daniel Barenboim - Träumerei
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index