The Clash - London Calling

The Clash - Rat Patrol At Fort Bragg

The Walker Brothers - After The Lights Go Out , The Best of 1965 - 1967

Scott Walker - Scott

Scott Walker - Scott 2

Scott Walker - Scott 3

John Lennon - Walls & Bridges

Mississippi John Hurt - 1928 Sessions

Sound Dimension - Mojo Rocksteady Beat...

V.A. - Studio One Roots

V.A. - Studio One Rockers

V.A. - Studio One Scorcher

Godspeed You ! Black Emperor - Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!

Tangerine Dream - Force Majure

Tangerine Dream - Tangram

Tangerine Dream - Exit

Tangerine Dream - White Eagle

Tangerine Dream - Logos

Tangerine Dream - Hyperborea

Tangerine Dream - The Keep

Ennio Morricone - L'Assoluto Naturale

Brian Eno - Apollo Atmospheres & Soundtracks

THTX - Ultimately

THTX - The Magic Frequencies

THTX - The Lost City

THTX - The Flickering Sky
mr sulcus
mr sulcus
399 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 7 October 2012 CE,
Oct 07, 2012, 03:06
This week I dug out an old cassette of The Grid's "Evolver", and rediscovered the singles that went with it of Texas Cowboys and Rollercoaster. Always seemed very shiney and clinical, and have aged pretty well with so much "in the box" production these days. Lots of great remixes too, courtesy of Justin Robertson.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Edited Oct 07, 2012, 04:41
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 7 October 2012 CE
Oct 07, 2012, 04:24
1) Codona - 3 .. ECM album featuring Don Cherry on trumpet and the late Colin Walcott on sitar, tabla etc. A very good record..... 2) Amon Duul - Yeti .. an old friend that still holds up pretty well ...... 3) Can - Lost Tapes .. thought I needed a break from this, still think some trimming would've been better, but there are some lovely things on it. I believe that Holger has custody of a lot of the live archive.. would rather like to hear it, pretty please ..... 4) Serge Gainsbourg - Histoire de Melody Nelson deluxe edition .. essential ..... 5) Robert Wyatt - His Greatest Misses .. Ditto. Can't fault it, apart from it not being a triple ..... 6) Patto - Roll 'Em Smoke 'Em .. I was too young to have seen Jimi, but did see Ollie Halsall a few times. Not much to choose between them, really. On a good day Ollie could run Jimi pretty close in the guitar madness and inovation department .. but he could also play piano just as well as guitar. So few people know of the man. Bloody heroin. http://www.olliehalsall.co.uk ..... 7) The Necks - Aether .. one of those records that demand patience and total attention. I haven't been able to give it enough of either yet. Played once so far, bailed out after a quarter of an hour. I wish that I could make seeing them live compulsory though ..... 8) Baal - No God .. one track, not an album. On a kraut sampler. Doorsy with a touch of Don in 'Blue Collar s/t' mode in the distorted vocals. Very good. Probably early '70's, but I know nothing about them apart from there being possibly two bands with the same name, and this one possibly not even being German. Anybody here the wiser? ..... 9) Little Feat - As Time Goes By .. still enjoying this after not playing it for years ..... 10) Smoke Fairies .. Through Low Light And Trees - still haven't got Blood Speaks, and hope it's as good as this, which doesn't need the skip button. Loved their gig a couple of months back ..... 11) Joni Mitchell - Shadows and Light .. once in a while I need to play Amelia, Hejira and Furry ...... 12) Orb/Gilmour - Metallic Spheres .. still think this is pretty good - have heard that the Orb's newie is too ..... thats all fer now, apart from a little bit of Furious Five and some live Jimi ....... ttfn
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 07, 2012, 13:17
Oct 07, 2012, 07:35
The Unthanks With Brighouse And Rastrick Brass Band - Diversions, Vol. 2
Never the greatest singers compared with some of their less feted contemporaries but this is a gorgeous record.

Ida- My Fair, My Dark
This could be its American bookend.

Julian Cope - Woden
Woe. Din.

Sweet - Level Headed
Strange but enjoyable attempt at acoustic prog pop. No monster riffs, lots of swirly synths, fanfares and disco figures with (The?) Sweet playing and writing at what I would guess to be the limit of their abilities at that time. It even has Richard Harvey on it. Sounds like the Rubinoos trying to make a 70s Queen album but not in a bad way.

John Martyn - Grace & Danger (deluxe)
Lots to love in the singing and the songs but this never sounded all that great to me. A bit too 80s wine bar in the production (FFS of all the interesting things you can do with a fretless bass why do *that*?!). Would be brilliant if it sounded a bit more like "Broken English" and less like the score to Gregory's Girl. The deluxe edition is kind of like the two version, before-and-after-Blackwell, re-release of "Catch A Fire" from a few years back.

Michel Petrucciani - The Complete Blue Note Recordings
Amazon digital bargain of the week. Seven Blue Note albums. £6.

Lalo Schifrin - THX 1138 (soundtrack)
The Soul Of O.V. Wright
Simple Minds- Radio Sessions 1979 - 1982
Robert Wyatt - Nothing Can Stop Us
Various - Radio On OST (self compiled playlist, not sure there ever was a real soundtrack album)

and from the classical department ...

Various - Kirchner, Music Expressions
Really nice compilation of German fin de siecle and Weimar music put together by the Royal Academy a few years ago for the Kirchner exhibition. Highly recommended toe-in-water sampler of really good performances if you can find it on EBay etc. If nothing else you get to hear where Hollywood found its sound palette in the pre and post WW2 years.

Chicago Symphony Orchestra & Fritz Reiner - Bartok : Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta

John Adams - Busoni : Berceuse Elegiaque

Daniel Barenboim - Träumerei
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Edited Oct 07, 2012, 10:17
Oct 07, 2012, 10:16
Fennesz 'Vienna' - found this fabulous slice of experimental electric guitar magic via the Sylvian compilation 'Sleepwalkers' with which it shares a track. If you like 'No Pussyfooting' you'll love this;

John Cale 'Guts' - good Island years compilation, but some of these songs freak me out in a not positive way;

The Beatles 'Revolver' - punchy as owt in mono. Take away 'Yellow Submarine' and you've got a pretty perfect record;

Van Morrison 'Born To Sing: No Plan B' - not the return to form that some reviews will have you believe, and bugger all to do with any jazz I've ever heard (despite the Blue Note connection), but there's a few lovely songs and good musicianship on show here, and Mr Grumpy himself has fewer off-key moments than he's demonstrated on most of his recent records;

Can 'Can' and 'Rite Time' - took a chance on these late Can records when they appeared in HMV's two for £10 campaign. And you know what, they're really not at all bad, if lacking in the experimentation of the early classics;

Grateful Dead 'Spring 1990: So Glad You Made It' - truncated 2CD edition of the ludicrously expensive and voluminous new 1990 tour box. The hyperbole accompanying this release is to some extent justified: there IS some fine playing here particularly from Garcia and Brent Mydland. Cool take on the Stones' 'The Last Time', but alas no Dark Stars this late on.

Man 'Kingdom Of Noise' - very poor album from five years back featuring more ex-members' offspring than original personnel. Martin Ace gamely tries to hold it all together but his own singing is pretty dreadful. Avoid.

Beethoven 1, 3 and 7 (Anima Eterna/Jos van Immerseel) and his Op.12 Violin Sonatas played by Immerseel and Midori.

Bach 'Well Tempered Klavier' - stunning new ECM recording by Andras Schiff that trounces his always enjoyable mid-80's Decca set: this is about as satisfying as Bach playing gets in my book.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Whatever you do, don't make it sound like Sergio Mendes...
Oct 07, 2012, 10:24
Some cool stuff going down there, Spencer, particularly the Patto record which I've dug for decades. 'Loud Green Song' may just be Ollie's finest moment and is required listening for all metalheads out there. I'm still well disturbed by 'Mummy' however...!
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Oct 07, 2012, 11:27
Fitter Stoke wrote:

Grateful Dead 'Spring 1990: So Glad You Made It' - truncated 2CD edition of the ludicrously expensive and voluminous new 1990 tour box. The hyperbole accompanying this release is to some extent justified: there IS some fine playing here particularly from Garcia and Brent Mydland. Cool take on the Stones' 'The Last Time', but alas no Dark Stars this late on.

I thought they played Dark Star at Wembley that Halloween, or at least in the run of shows. Could be why there was so much talk about it though.
So not necessarily reflective of a Spring run but I thought they were still playing it during that year.

Stevo
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Oct 07, 2012, 11:49
Albums

Witchcraft - Legend
Witchcraft - Firewood
Witchcraft - The Alchemist
Julian Cope - Woden
Efterklang - Piramida
Smoke Fairies - Blood Speaks
Pepe Deluxe - Queen of the Wave
Gossip - A Joyful Noise
Carlton Melton - Photos of Photos (awesome!)
Dark Dark Dark - Who Needs Who
Tame Impala - Lonerism
Moon Duo - Circles
YASNBWATID - Inner Space Broadcasts Vol. 2
Pontiacs - Bursting
Sunlight Service Group - Bowling with the Bloodied Head of Barbara Streisand

Tracks

Last Harbour - Replacements
Ellie Goulding - Anything Could Happen (White Sea Remix)
danny_9317
danny_9317
37 posts

Oct 07, 2012, 12:10
Hi all

cocteau twins- heaven or las vegas & four calender cafe
gustav mahler- symphonies 1&4
beethoven- moonlight sonata (on a fairly constant repeat- absolutely beautiful. also monolight by tangerine dream because of the connection)
neil young- time fades away
isaac hayes- hot buttered soul
king crimson- in the wake of poseidon
hawkwind- hall of the mountain grill
mozart- jupiter symphony
kimio mizutani- a path through haze
dvorak- symphonies 6&9
klaus schulze- irrlicht (really enjoying this since I finally picked it up a week or so ago)
jesus and mary chain- stoned and dethroned
popol vuh- nosferatu (spalax edition- really great album)
harold budd and robin guthrie- after night falls
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Oct 07, 2012, 17:48
Oct 07, 2012, 13:17
Magma - Live
Magma - BBC 1974. Uloo kahtra mobily obbly neeeee farh quark minooooop!
Splhito Magmatastic groknil Excygruagh Kooohl mab Whaaaaz!

Acid Mothers Temple - IOA Chant from the Cosmic Inferno / Nam Myo Ren Ho Ge Kyo.
Two superb slices of prime AMT extra-length wig out and, for a mere 89p (!) a pop on Amazon downloads you'd have to have a jelly brain not to have a sniff.

Firebird - St/Deluxe/No.3. Superb power trio retro-riffage
Jethro Tull - Storm Watch / Broadsword & The Beast.
Nope - Revision
Goat - World Music. Enjoyed playing this to a chum over ales on Friday night and watching him grin like a goon throughout.

Pure Reason Revolution - The Dark Third / Amor Vincit Omnia

Alphonse Murzon - Mind Transplant. Excellent fusion rockage with stellar twangery and widdlement from Tommy Bolin. (Thanks for the redux Ian!)

Lenny White - Venusian Summer. I was looking for some info on one of my fave all time albums, "Lenny White presents the Adventures of Astral Pirates" which is, in itself, a truly marvelous thing, and came across this earlier release to which I alerted the existence of to a friend, whom I thought may share an interest in said artefact. Anyhoo, it is a sumptious slice of funky fusion deluxe featuring, as you'd expect, some thunderously groovy drumming from the Neal Peart of jazzfunkfusion and some glorious guitar noodles and duels from Al DiMeola amongst other luminaries of the form. An album to indulge in as you pretend you're on the USS Enterthighs cruising the funky galaxy and spreading sexy space lurve baby.

Crippled Black Phoenix - Night Raiders / The Ressurectionists.
Gonga - II: Transmigrations
Bong - Beyond Ancient Space

Earthling Society - Stations of The Ghost. Woefully late to the party but like this a lot. Already become my fave Earthlings thing of the stuff I own I think.

Pythia - Beneath The Veiled Embrace
Bloodshot Dawn - ST
Wooden Wand - Blood Oaths of the New Blues
Gum Takes Tooth - Silent Cenotaph
Burnt By The Sun - Perfect is the Enemy of The Good
Rush - Clockwork Angels (mega!!!)
KISS - Rock N Roll Over
Smoke Fairies - Blood Speaks
Devil Driver - Pray For Villains
Omni Trio - Byte Sized Life

and live,
Smoke Fairies at the Deaf Institute on Friday which was lush, especially seeing a couple of my chums really enjoy the gig. Slack Panther was almost smokenapped by the Fairies and still hasn't forgiven me for not letting him go and live with them. Still, he did get to go to a beer festival the next day so he shouldn't moan really, the indolent wretch.

Have a nice week x
Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index