The Horrors new LP

70 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1709 posts

Re: The Horrors new LP
May 13, 2009, 12:00
Interesting points, Ian. I too have no idea of what Tokio Hotel sound like, and don't really want to know- I'd rather keep my fantasy that they are, as you say, some 21st Century Manga-inspired hybrid of The New York Dolls and early Japan. Like Sigue Sigue Sputnik should have sounded. In reality, they probably make Sputnik sound like genius in comparison.

But still, isn't the phenomenon you're talking about restricted mainly to pre-teen music fans- and hasn't it always been that way, from the early Beatles to The Osmonds to Duran Duran etc? If the music wasn't secondary, how could there have been so much antipathy between Durannies and Wham fans, if it wasn't just about subscribing to a certain look?

I agree though when you say that music being free and so widely available- and so much of it, albeit mostly within a very narrow range- has devalued it to the generation who've grown up online. They still flock to live music at the big festivals, but that seems to be more about 'the experience' (the queues? the overpriced shit drinks? The crappy burgers? The rain and mud?) than the draw of any particular band.

I don't know what the pre-teenies are into these days, but I do still know a few late teenagers and they seem actually less concerned with image and more concerned with music as a functional lifestyle accompaniment- Ipod fodder- than generations past. Maybe it's because the record sleeve and to a large extent music TV is a thing of the past- even MTV is cutting back on it's actual music video coverage- but the look actually seems less important, certainly in Britain and America. In a way that's a shame.

Sometimes bands can be all image and no substance of course, but often I think if a band works on the way it looks and presents itself, then that can suggest they've put more thought into the music too, and the effect they want it to have- certainly if we're talking 'High Pop', where a band's impact can be as much sociological as purely musical. Take The Who, Bowie, Bolan, The Pistols- that's when pop can really have an impact, beyond the music- it wasn't just the Sex Pistols' songs that changed peoples' lives- and inflame passions to imagine some greater artistic vision, a whole way of life, a crack in the consensual tedium etc.

And finally, concerning The Horrors- even if I grant that you or I may have heard it all before, the same could surely be said (and was said by our elders), of the bands we listened to when we were 17. The Horrors at least seem to have good taste, and will probably lead their fans to explore their original influences- indeed, this is something they actively encourage by giving out free zines and mix CDs at gigs. I think it's great that there is a pop band, aimed at teenagers and not much older themselves, who are making contemporary chartbound sounds that reference MBV, The Shangri-Las, The Psychedelic Furs, Neu etc. To criticise them for not being The Flower-Corsano duo is missing the point.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index