The Horrors new LP

70 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1709 posts

Re: The Horrors new LP
May 10, 2009, 11:12
I disagree, Jason. As you say, it's just an opinion, and I'm usually in agreement with many of your musical judgements here and elsewhere, but in this case sir I feel that you're talking through your hat.

You seem to have more issues with the hype in the press than the record itself, which is fair enough, but something I've managed to remain largely unaffected by through the cunning trick of not reading it.

Don't assume that because they're young and well dressed they must be bandwagon jumpers who weren't into Joy Division or Neu before whenever the accepted date is, and must've got into them through Interpol or Kasabian or something. That's pure unwarranted snobbery and extremely patronising to boot.

I really don't see this huge krautrock influence though, except on that one track that nicks the bassline from 'Mother Sky.' But that apparently is what the press has labelled them with. On their first album everyone said they were a goth band, based on their haircuts, when the biggest influence was patently The Sonics and their ilk- it was a garage rock album- now, 'Primary Colours' sounds deeply goth to me, but no, the official line is that it's their krautrock record.

It's all opinion. I think they write good songs and transcend their influences, you don't. On a final note, I see Kevin Shields has invited them to play the MBV-curated ATP- a seal of approval he doesn't seem to have bestowed on any of the other bands around right now who are under his influence.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index