6761 posts

Edited May 13, 2009, 10:05
Re: The Horrors new LP
May 13, 2009, 09:50
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:
IanB wrote:
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:
IanB wrote:
Though in this day and age if you are not good looking, or at least striking in a cartoon manner, then you are probably fucked either way.

Ahem... Coldplay? Elbow? The Kaiser Chiefs? .

All 90s bands. All last century.

What's in the music press, what 30 year olds listen to and what teenagers are getting hot and bothered over are miles apart. It's all gone very boys-will-be-girls and J-Rock of the Dir En Grey variety. Tokio Hotel (who are German) being a pretty good example of the look. No idea what the music is like and I am not sure anyone cares.

Nineties bands?

Coldplay- first album released in 2000.

Kaiser Chiefs- first album released in 2005.

Elbow- first album released in 2001.

All three still shifting huge amounts. Tokio Hotel have had one charting single in the UK. It reached number 77. And we weren't neccesarily talking about what 17 year olds listen to, were we? I thought you were just listing the requirements generally neccesary to have a successful music career these days. You made some good points, too. I'm just nit-picking, really.

And yes, Mooncat, I will grant you that Elbow have so much more to them than Coldplay. My point was that they managed to achieve their success without exactly being glammed up pretty boys.

I am not adverse to a bit of good natured nit picking myself. The acts we are taking about were going for years before they had records out which is why I think of them as 90s bands. No biggie either way,

I think what I am trying and failing to get at is

What the current generation of music fans really care about and what sells or is written about are two (possibly three) totally different things

I am talking about what gets people's blood racing not what a handful of people are buying on iTunes or what is written about in magazines that no one buys any more and are kept afloat by ads from Warners, Sony and Universal.

As for Tokio Hotel I have no idea what they sound like but they look like a better looking and Manga inspired version of er .... early Japan. Though they actually look like rock stars rather than shop assistants from Kensington Market circa 1981. I imagine no one cares what they sound like but I bet they sell a lot of posters! Which is where our musical culture is at and how The Horrors could eventually score big. If Tokio Hotel came from Bury or Basingstoke they'd be absolutely massive and still no one would care what they sound like.It wouldn't matter if they sold any records or not. What things sound like is the big irrelvancy. With so much music available for free (lets face it everything is available for free) what something looks like is what opens the door to mass appeal. Which is why all those other earnest and honest music makers we talked about are something I see as being from a different era.

I am not crowing about this sorry state of affairs or decrying it. It's just the way it appears to me.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index