The Horrors new LP

70 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
356 posts

Re: The Horrors new LP
May 11, 2009, 10:31
I've had the new album from a naughty download link for a month and thought "WOW" from the start. Purchased it with a free mix cd at Rough Trade the day it came out proper. The mix cd is very electronic, obscure, and mostly great.

Having come of musical age through the Shoegaze era I find I'm loving this album without over thinking it or comparing it to Kraut or goth or wibblegaze or whatever the new genre is these days. The guitar sound on some songs reminds me of MBV but they've done it so well that it doesn'y come across as a weak imitation like some of the original shoegaze acts did.

There's a lot more influences on there other than the Kraut and Shoegaze ones which the press have quoted. To me they've eaten it all up and made a great album......apart from New Ice Age and the one that sounds like Come Together by Spiritualized, they're both a bit crap to my ears. Why pick it apart and break it down into "oh they've nicked this bit from there and that bit from them blah de blah de blah". So what.

As a fellow Southend man I've kept an interested eye on their progress. I bought then took back their Strange House debut as I didn't rate it. I know one of them to talk to when out and about. Lovely guy and a massive music fan who was into the whole Kraut and garage scene way before it became a press soundbite. This new album is like they're a different band, it's wildly good when compared to the debut and will be up there in the top album lists come the end of the year and for good reason too.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index