70 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9573 posts

Edited May 11, 2009, 18:59
Re: The Horrors new LP
May 11, 2009, 18:58
IanB wrote:

I feel exactly the same way about Fujiya and Miyagi, Franz Ferdinand and any number of a host of acts whose members were born after the 70s were over and who seem to view pop history as something that is fair game for plunder with absolutely no sense of having to build on the past. Ironic ransacking being all the rage and an acceptable end in itself. How very 1982 of them..

To to be fair to FF, who are well into their 30's in any case, surely anyone can tell one of their records from a mile away. They've taken influences and made them sound contemporary, made them their own. Haven't been tempted to buy the third LP yet though!

As for F&M, etc., let young people plunder what they want as long as the end result is good. And in F&M's case, it is (what I've heard anyway)

It might be a good time to listen to Jealous Of Youth by The The, Ian! ; )

IanB wrote:

All that aside we are talking about people who view music making as a career option. The Jon Bon Jovis of rock n roll. Which is why we are all aware of The Horrors in the first place. They are in it to win it.

Sorry Ian, I find this quite a ridiculous thing to say. "They are in it to win it". What exactly do The Horrors want to win? Bon Jovi-like success??? Right...they're clearly going about it the wrong way then!

The Horrors could be way more successful if success was all they cared about. The folk on here might well be au-fait with Krautrock and shoe-gazing, but you mention those terms to a lot of people who care less passionately about music than us lot then they haven't got a clue about them. And no, I'm not out of touch, or being condescending. I have these conversations.

Joe Public doesn't know who much about Neu or MBV. You want to appeal to a mass market and be Champion's League winners in music, then you're gonna have to be way more obvious than that.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index