The Horrors new LP

70 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited May 12, 2009, 17:49
Re: The Horrors new LP
May 12, 2009, 17:25
If I might speak in defence of Elbow (elbow room?). I think it's slightly unfair, although perhaps an inevitable consequence of their recent success, that they are getting lumped in with the likes of Coldplay (and the subsequent parade of Athlete's yada yada).

Yes, there are similar foundations of melancholy 'indie', whatever the fuck that means these days, in such acts but for my dollar Elbow have always had the gritter, wine-stained toothed edge over the Primark Indie Boo-Hoo brigade. Their songs are better, the lyrics are less like a shopping list of Athena Man platitudes designed to appeal to 30 something indie-princesses and guys that think standing on a hill for twenty minutes makes you 'sensitive'.

Fair play to them - sonically they are far more adventurous than the band's that now seem to be their 'peer's'. The albums that were supposed to make them HOOJ, but didn't, "Cast of Thousands" and "Leaders of the Free World", whilst not being King Crimson, are at least fairly experimental in their field. And whilst I wouldn't begrudge the band their current success, I think it came at the right time for them four albums in. If the first album had gone stellar I reckon they'd have split up by now. Look at loads of the (once) big-hitters that have stalled three albums in, Kaiser Cheifs, Franz Ferdinand. If they're canny enough there's no reason why Elbow shouldn't enjoy an REMesque career in a way.

I'm far from the biggest Elbow fan around but for all their false starts,(Which I think that has actually been a good thing for them in the long-run cos they will actually have a chance of having a long-run!) I think they have songs of merit and value.

Name still sucks though
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index