The Horrors new LP

70 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1709 posts

Re: The Horrors new LP
May 09, 2009, 19:32
I just listened to it for the first time and I thought it was great. I also thought that the krautrock influence on the "single" Sea Within A Sea proved to be a red herring- I didn't think the rest of it was krauty at all.

It's very MBV and shoegaze, and very 80s goth and post-punk psychedelia. It's like Britpop never happened, and this is the overground art school indie LP that picks up where we left off in about 1991, combining the influences of the previous decade and a half, but without sounding especially derivative.

I don't hear the Suede thing at all. Chameleons, maybe. I think there are some great "Songs" -not that classic songwriting is always the criteria, but the title track, for one, is a very well-constructed pop song. The guitar sound owes a lot to Kevin Shields, indeed, but as you note they also take it to other places. Good.

I should say that I've been a fan of The Horrors from day one, anyway. For their annoyance value, for daring to dress up like goth-punk dandies in an era of balding be-stubbled indie bands in fleeces, for making a great punky racket which woke you up coming out of daytime radio rather than lulling you further into worker drone stupor, and then debut album Strange House was genuinely great too, with more than one experimental curveball among the thrash hits. So I've always had faith in em.

So what if there's a wider shoegaze / shitgaze scene going on- the more the merrier I say, and there's a million miles of difference between, say, The Horrors, Jenniferever and A Place To Bury Strangers, anyway.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index