70 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: Did anyone at the time...
Nov 18, 2008, 17:45
Brik wrote:
Aww this is ace, keep em coming!
I suppose I knew Julian was special to me when I first heard Strasbourg and started dancing around in glee of such pure optimism. World Shut Your Mouth (the album) really changed my life.
Or well it at least raised my life off the floor.

Agreed. Much as I love some of the later stuff, "WSYM" is still my favourite Cope album. I was first turned onto the Teardrops as a kiddie by "Reward", but being only 10 years old at the time, I didn't buy the Teardrops' albums until a few years later. "WSYM" was the first one I bought when it was released - mainly on the strength of hearing several tracks from it on the Janice Long show - and it was the first one that convinced me Julian was a real artist of substance. It also taught me at a helpfully early age to take whatever the weekly music papers said with a large pich of salt, as it got wall-to-wall bad reviews at the time and I couldn't for the life of me understand why.

"Sunshine Playroom" and "Head Hang Low" are very poignant songs for those of us who were just beginning to deal with the hormonal changes wrought by adolescence at the time, too.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index