70 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Brik
587 posts

Edited Nov 17, 2008, 19:13
Re: Did anyone at the time...
Nov 17, 2008, 19:11
Aww this is ace, keep em coming!
I suppose I knew Julian was special to me when I first heard Strasbourg and started dancing around in glee of such pure optimism. World Shut Your Mouth (the album) really changed my life.
Or well it at least raised my life off the floor.

While we're in Cope-fight mode...
For the record I think that's the greatness and perfection of Julian Cope. He is Julian Cope, no bullshit, no nonsense, no time wasters. Certainly no "front". If he was into that, there would probably have never been Fried, Skellington, or pretty much anything else after My Nation Underground. He would done what Island, or whoever, wanted him to do, and I concur the Teardrop Explodes'd be back on stage with that crazy son of a gun Alan Gill on bail to play guitar. But as is the beauty of Julian, he bounced back and did what he believed in. The Clash were one whopper of an influence on Julian's younger self (see his auto-biography), and Joe Strummer truly was a legend, why's it a problem to commemorate that? It's not like this "farce" took money from anyone. He stood and played in memory of his idol, making himself ill in the process. Sounds like busking to me.
Dark Orgasm as the worst you've ever heard? Fairy nuff if you don't like it, but there's a great message behind it, and giving the lyrics a skim you'll see it's incredibly talented. I don't think it was his best, but I think it was more an itch he wanted to scratch, and now he's done it he can dip back into that former self whenever he wants (you see bits of a heavier Cope on Disc 1 of Black Sheep)
The fact Julian does his own music indefinitely seperates him from most established artists, not "similar apart from..." If he wants to say something, he will; take it or leave it. I think he's been seen to back so many different ideals because this man's brain is on full power all the time, absorbing every piece of information possible. For him to share with us is a priviledge from where I'm sat. And I've never known him to back down from what he believes in, or act as though what he believes isn't all that sincere (but if you can show us the offending interview...). He's spending all this time, effort, talent and money on getting his message out to us lucky blighters. And that's deadly serious if you ask me.
Well there's my tuppence. No offence meant, that's just why I'm here.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index