Did anyone at the time...

70 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Shelby Mustang
Shelby Mustang
605 posts

Re: Did anyone at the time...
Nov 16, 2008, 11:26
i'll be honest with you, i only got into cope through his books and the modern antiquarian.

i brought Sunspots' ep when it was released in the eighties but other than enjoying the edginess of it amongst alll the pap of the time i wasn't that bothered.

then his two books about his life plus as i say the modern A had me driving to the record shop without even thinking (icandokungfu) and i went and brought 'interpreter' and it promptly blew my mind to the extent that i still rate it as one of my all time favourite albums (definitely top ten with the mighty 20 Mothers drawing up right behind it. two albums in my top ten albums of all time by the same artist).

so i'm not a lifelong fan and to be honest teardrop explodes stuff didn't light my fire back then and it doesn't now (each to his own).

but shit, since first hearing 'all the blowing themselves up...' it hasn't been out of my head. This last album really to me is what i would consider (FOR MY TASTE) a total return to form. and what i love about the guy is that he's so eclectic that he wouldn't give a fuck if his next album was completely different and we all sat around our stereos with question marks coming out of our heads.

S.P.A.C.E.R.O.C.K. just itches that itch. memories of dancing in the frontroom to it on xmas day (it was an unofficial gift from my kids...that i went and brought) with the nippers and a bottle of red wine in celebration of not only NOT being dissapointed but being ecstatic that it was all i wanted it to be and more.

so to answer your question. yes i'm glad he morphed into the JC he is now cos a big fucking hole would be where he resides now in my album collection and 'ness'.

xx
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index