Did anyone at the time...

Pages: 7 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Brik
587 posts

Edited Nov 15, 2008, 18:46
Did anyone at the time...
Nov 15, 2008, 17:31
Imagine Julian Cope to become the 'prophet'/'erudite barbarian'/'rock god'/'nutter'/'whatever you like' that he is now?
Just as a point of conversation, to anyone who went and saw the Teardrops and went to the shops to buy the new St. Julian lp etc. Did anyone imagine him to be performing like he is now or even still writing at all?
As I was getting into him he was all Donor/LAMF with that mighty fuck of a beard. Or so I found out not long after spinning Passionate Friend for the first time (in a "I wonder what he's like now?" semi-serious affair), so I naturally stepped back and thought I'd take it slow. Not too long later, while I was experiencing Fried and World Shut Your Mouth for the first time, Citizen Cain'd emerged. I thought I'd take my chances and take a leap into the bearded unknown. Now I wouldn't have it any other way.
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Edited Nov 15, 2008, 17:50
Re: Did anyone at the time...
Nov 15, 2008, 17:49
Hello, Brik

Good question.

The books really started to set him apart, particularly 'Krautrocksampler' "and "The Modern Antiquarian' really set him off as someone who had expertise in areas beyond one's biography.

In the US he is a cult figure most still attach to the Teardrops. Jehavohkill was the last major album, and for many it was too experimental.

Now the music is far edgier than most of his US fans of the past, and not widely distributed to build farther. One either has to stumble upon him via the books, or have someone point you in his direction, or start with the Teardrops.
keith a
9573 posts

Nov 15, 2008, 18:33
In a word, yes.

I first saw the Teardrops in 1979 and I knew right then that he was a special talent and that the Sleeping Gas ep wasn't some sort of lucky one-off.
Piquiod
Piquiod
525 posts

Nov 15, 2008, 21:51
I first heard of Julian when I worked at a record store in 1992.
Jehovahkill had just come out, and my manager was a punk fan, and Teardrops fan...He put on the cd, and let me hear it without comment, influence, advice or warning...I loved every new and brilliant moment. I listened to it daily, sometimes twice a day...discovering new bits of goodness. I didn't know what it was about then, but I knew Julian was above the herd, and was truely gifted...
Shelby Mustang
Shelby Mustang
605 posts

Nov 16, 2008, 11:26
i'll be honest with you, i only got into cope through his books and the modern antiquarian.

i brought Sunspots' ep when it was released in the eighties but other than enjoying the edginess of it amongst alll the pap of the time i wasn't that bothered.

then his two books about his life plus as i say the modern A had me driving to the record shop without even thinking (icandokungfu) and i went and brought 'interpreter' and it promptly blew my mind to the extent that i still rate it as one of my all time favourite albums (definitely top ten with the mighty 20 Mothers drawing up right behind it. two albums in my top ten albums of all time by the same artist).

so i'm not a lifelong fan and to be honest teardrop explodes stuff didn't light my fire back then and it doesn't now (each to his own).

but shit, since first hearing 'all the blowing themselves up...' it hasn't been out of my head. This last album really to me is what i would consider (FOR MY TASTE) a total return to form. and what i love about the guy is that he's so eclectic that he wouldn't give a fuck if his next album was completely different and we all sat around our stereos with question marks coming out of our heads.

S.P.A.C.E.R.O.C.K. just itches that itch. memories of dancing in the frontroom to it on xmas day (it was an unofficial gift from my kids...that i went and brought) with the nippers and a bottle of red wine in celebration of not only NOT being dissapointed but being ecstatic that it was all i wanted it to be and more.

so to answer your question. yes i'm glad he morphed into the JC he is now cos a big fucking hole would be where he resides now in my album collection and 'ness'.

xx
JonLa
86 posts

Nov 16, 2008, 13:22
I think Peggy Suicide was the big hint that something good was coming. Before that i was really take it or leave it - a name in the NME and a couple of singles that I knew which were too mainstream for me like World Shut Your Mouth and Five O'Clock World (although thinking back, that mic-stand should have been the first clue for me) but then I'd never seen the cover of Fried at that point. So there was Peggy, then weird rumblings about Skellington and Droolian which I never found until the HH reissues, then the kerfuffle about Jehovahkill and getting dropped by the label, and that was me sold!
rojo
rojo
433 posts

Nov 16, 2008, 13:26
Thats about the same way I got into copey = thru the books esp KRS. Back in the 80s I recall thinking he was abit of Syd Barret clone/acolyte and bought St Julian which made very little impression on me. Since logging onto this website I have bought PeggySuicide/J'Kill etc which I sometimes digout but I rate him more for his written incites into new music and the unsung
jimspooner
jimspooner
8 posts

Nov 16, 2008, 17:50
Brik wrote:
Imagine Julian Cope to become the 'prophet'/'erudite barbarian'/'rock god'/'nutter'/'whatever you like' that he is now?

Wasn't aware that he was one!! Personally I think Cope just wants to be adored and puts up any front to achieve it. I've read some interviews with him, I don't really see any sincerity there, as soon as someone objects to what he's saying he changes tune almost instantly! And as for that Joe Strummer memorial farce, well farce was the word there. I saw a few minutes in cardiff, thought it was a joke to be honest. Don't see any meaning in the Joe Strummer memorial part

I came across Cope back when Peggy Suicide was released, thought it was a good album, Jehovahkill wasn't bad. A mate of mine played me some of his more recent stuff, and though it was dreadful. Dark Orgasm I think it was, quite possibly one of the worst albums I've heard.

Anyway, apart from that Cope's doing the music he wants, pretty much the same as many other established artists. Cope's just got a bigger mouth!
keith a
9573 posts

Edited Nov 16, 2008, 19:44
Nov 16, 2008, 18:29
jimspooner wrote:

as soon as someone objects to what he's saying he changes tune almost instantly!

Yeah, he's converted to Islam this week.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Edited Nov 16, 2008, 19:34
Nov 16, 2008, 19:33
jimspooner wrote:
Brik wrote:

Don't see any meaning in the Joe Strummer memorial part

!

The entire action is dedicated to Joe Strummer, whose 1986 Clash busking tour was the inspiration.

btw I admire your cynicism, just a shame yr talking a load of old bollocks
Pages: 7 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index