48 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Re: The weak forum project..
Jan 22, 2009, 13:36
stray wrote:
On the whole it tends to be people posting science articles or the occasional news story for the rest of us to get righteously indignant about, or support, and circle jerk about it.

Forgive my ignorance, but what else do you expect to happen on a political forum?

U-Know, and indeed most political forums I have knowledge of, consist in the large part of people bringing stuff to one another's attention. The phrase 'circle jerk' is somewhat disparaging.

stray wrote:
Look at whats happening in Gaza, the few threads... There are plenty of organisations and charities we could have advertised

you mean like the Solidarity Movement volunteer's blog I linked to that people can donate to?

stray wrote:
Basically we don't discuss anything of note

Again, I'm not seeing the change. There have always been things that pass us by, because none of us has time to comment fully on all the news items we are concerned about and all the things that don't make the news too.

stray wrote:
I know we're mostly left and green but there hasn't been any politcal discourse/new ideas here for ages.

rather than bemoan the lack of it, why not start it? If it's what you want to talk about, nobody's stopping you.

stray wrote:
if someone posts something contrary to the hivemind does this place actually resort to personal attacks, or do the forum regulars make a serious attempt at discussion?

I see the latter over and over again. I've seen personal attacks, but they get ignored or disarmed pretty sharpish. That particular point is one that separates U-Know from most other boards I've visited.

That said, of course if someone holds a political view that stems from a position that you view as repugnant, it's a fine line. But I think that, headstrong revolutionary or fluffy liberal, we're good at staying the right side of the line.

This place isn't capable of discussing everything that matters. Nor are any of us capable of doing so from a position of being fully informed on all subjects under discussion. That doesn't mean that what we *do* say doesn't have worth.

Want to see other things said here? Great. I'm all ears. Not physically, obviously.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index