48 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
stray
stray
2057 posts

Re: In defence of U-Know!
Jan 21, 2009, 02:02
grufty jim wrote:

(incidentally, and at the risk of reiterating a previous point, I think you're rather inaccurate when you try to place me within the Evo Psych fold. "Group Psychodynamics" is my field, and without wanting to get all technical and pedantic, that's rather different to Evolutionary Psychology. I'm not saying that some of your criticisms of Evo Psych might not also apply to Group Psychodynamics, merely that they are two distinct fields)

Ha, oh god man, I know that. I was just pushing pisstaking academic buttons, as evo psych is the (rightly) most maligned of the social sciences. I've been doing it to get a rise. As I'm trying to indicate in other posts in this thread, I'm pretty much open to any interpretations and analysis methodologies, especially now it seems. As much as I love and respect Feynmann I'm not the kind to say as he did "The social sciences are not actually science". I read way too much philosophy and cultural theory to knee jerk like that.

Honestly, although some of your posts and their tone do make me explode into angsty WAH!!! DATA!!! POSSIBLE ALTERNATIVE CONCLUSIONS!! they do make me think, and I have been missing them. Although I too go through post/no post phases here I do miss reading them, even if I fundamentally disagree I devour every viewpoint and method. Even if I don't post, I am reading them. Most of the time though its true that I don't post because they make me too apoplectic ;).

Everything else in your post, yep, I completely concur. As said these things about the actual forum itself are more considerations than genuine problems. I was really provoking a debate here, possible for selfish ends in order to sort out my own thought processes, I can't honestly be sure now. I figured it would be good to discuss this place though and how it's changed and is changing. Thats your field though innit.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index