The weak forum project..

Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
stray
stray
2057 posts

The weak forum project..
Jan 19, 2009, 17:15
The racist prince thread threw up some semi interesting arguments about the U-Know hivemind.

Yeah, if it wasn't for Merrick digging out the occasional protest, times and places to turn up etc not a lot would happen here. On the whole it tends to be people posting science articles or the occasional news story for the rest of us to get righteously indignant about, or support, and circle jerk about it.

Fine, thats okay doke for a forum. But I mean, when it comes to major events this place is horribly, horribly weak. Look at whats happening in Gaza, the few threads, with their contents of meagre liberal hand wringing responses to such a horrible catastrophe is well.. how on earth can this forum take itself remotely seriously ?

There are plenty of organisations and charities we could have advertised, and I've seen other forums raise good sums of money to help. Again what of the Congo, even more deaths and horror, barely a tweet here, or what about Sri Lanka at the moment ? Basically we don't discuss anything of note, and people with strong political/philosophical opinions are ermm.... are there any ? I know we're mostly left and green but there hasn't been any politcal discourse/new ideas here for ages.

I mean I'd prefer to see one of Gruftys dreadful Evo Psych articles instead of what we've had here over the last few months ;)

Geofrey and Pooley (assuming one of them isn't the others puppet account) raise an interesting point, maybe. I mean, if someone posts something contrary to the hivemind does this place actually resort to personal attacks, or do the forum regulars make a serious attempt at discussion? I know thats a subjective interpretation at the end of the day, either way, and true enough it seems that people on the right politically have a serious problem parsing text, but anyway, U-Know, right ? As much as I know and love Vybik to bits I do think he got a bit harsh with the Daily Mail reader line.

Sooo... anyway, have I completely got the wrong end of the stick here ? Does anyone else have similar or different concerns ? In short, does this sub forum actually have a point, at all ?
Harry Worth
Harry Worth
40 posts

Re: The weak forum project..
Jan 19, 2009, 17:43
Well, I'm a newbie so I don't know how things have operated in the past., but I do think that a section like this is good to have.

I do inhabit a few other forums and see a healthy level of debate there sometimes, but the polarisation between posters and namecalling can get boring after a bit. Good debates need good and regular posters, sometimes they are too busy to keep things going or prefer more frivolous threads. Head to head is the most compact forum I've ever come across which is nice but may limit how dynamic it is, for instance it isn't obvious who is online should you want to debate "live" with someone who made a post four hours ago.

[As an aside does anyone moderate this place? It seems to me that there are similar threads on some subjects but they never get linked together]
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Jan 19, 2009, 17:44
I might be completely off base, but are you suggesting that talking is a pointless waste of time unless it is accompanied by action?

And are we obliged to think that we must either act in response to every injustice across the planet or none at all?

This IS primarily a music forum. Perhaps if you think there are forums out there that better serve the aims of changing the world you could share some URLs... that'd be a good way to make your point.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Jan 19, 2009, 17:55
handofdave wrote:
I might be completely off base, but are you suggesting that talking is a pointless waste of time unless it is accompanied by action?

And are we obliged to think that we must either act in response to every injustice across the planet or none at all?

This IS primarily a music forum. Perhaps if you think there are forums out there that better serve the aims of changing the world you could share some URLs... that'd be a good way to make your point.

No, no I'm not saying its a waste of time at all HOD. I was just wondering if there were people like me who thought that maybe yeah.. you know, maybe we need to raise our game a bit. Just trying to provoke a little self analysis of our little forum here is all I'mdoing. I mean, yeah, I don't mind that much personally about the content of this forum.

To be perfectly honest I don't go into online poltical discussion of world events much, and tend to look for academic analysis of politics and ideas (yep, I've gone from activist to pointless navel gazing insufferable intellectual arse).

I know this is primarily a music forum, but way back U-Know was a lot more than that, and it's reason for being was a lot more than what to me it is now, just venting in an echo chamber.

As for URLs, well the goons keep me entertained...

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=46
and the excellant
http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=201
Laissez's Fair is without doubt a left wing and liberal echo chamber, but its a damn sight more entertaining than this place.

Annoyingly for me both of these are very US centric, although there are reasonably global in interest.

I also go to a lot of right wing forums, just for giggles, but I won't post the URLs here.

PLEASE! If anyone has good european, or UK political forum URLs then share them also.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Jan 19, 2009, 17:56
Harry Worth wrote:

[As an aside does anyone moderate this place? It seems to me that there are similar threads on some subjects but they never get linked together]

Nah, its self moderated, all the forums here are pretty much. holy likes to keep a hands off approach, which is laudable and what makes this place great imo. Obviously, if someone is extremely out of line with personal attacks then Holy does ban them, but I can't recall that happening for a few years now. I think TMA is very strictly moderated though, but I don't go there at all and it's just my impression that it is.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Jan 19, 2009, 18:07
Talking of the intellectual navel gazing side of politics/ideas. I quite like reading this place..

http://www.illogicaloperation.com/

A good pro read article on the problems of left politics, and well, change in general in the first world is up there here...

http://www.illogicaloperation.com/textz/deleuze_gilles_guattari_felix_may_68.htm

Don't let the D&G names put you off, its readable ;)
Eduardo
Eduardo
375 posts

Jan 19, 2009, 22:20
I like this forum a lot, particularly the eco/green issues in which I have a personal interest (ie job!) Yes I agree it'd be great to see much more on here. I'm just reading about the abuse Papua has suffered at the hands of Indonesia and its exploitation by the likes of Shell and Freeport, but probably wouldn't discuss it here - so guilty as charged I guess.
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Edited Jan 20, 2009, 00:31
Jan 20, 2009, 00:30
stray wrote:
I mean I'd prefer to see one of Gruftys dreadful Evo Psych articles instead of what we've had here over the last few months ;)

Currently working on a dreadful Evo Psych book, hence the dearth of articles.

Except that's not quite true... "dreadful Group Psych" would be better than "dreadful Evo Psych" as I tend to disagree with much that appears under the Evo Psych label.

And of course, I usually drop the 'dreadful' for marketing purposes.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Jan 20, 2009, 01:05
Jan 20, 2009, 01:04
Ha nice one. I've never found an evo psych paper that didn't make me laugh out loud at it's unsafe conclusions myself, but I reckon you've guessed that about me by now. Not that I'm an overt fan of strict empiricism, I'm as post-post-post as the next polo neck wearing bloke. I'm just a fan of common sense and a reasonably solid analysis of data done with a valid methodology ;)

Good luck with the book geezer, and if you ever put up a quality abstract of it somewhere on the web then give us an url for it.
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Edited Jan 20, 2009, 13:51
Jan 20, 2009, 13:43
I think you ought to take from this place what you can and be grateful that in the main it is a hub for intellegent opinion and any a-holes that turn up do not really get tolerated well. I don't post any where else on the net, or have a facebook or anything. There is a uniquenss here, a fine balance to be got but I do not think many of us here have that much of an depth a knowledge or even the will to fully go into any *really* heavy discussion on Israel etc. I don't even think the nature of the site would accomodate it that well, thankfully. I don't see that as 'weak' at all. We can opinionate, sure. TBH, I do like posts that don't particularly rely on 'links' to validate their existence and the odd tangent here and there is ok. Those that do are of course essential to debate also. Damn it man, dunno what yer moaning about quite frankly;)
x
Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index