The weak forum project..

48 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Jan 20, 2009, 19:36
Re: The weak forum project..
Jan 20, 2009, 19:34
Well as it is, in essence as you say a sub-forum and not really the main focus of the site, I think U-Know equits itself pretty well. And, as you have argued elsewhere, there is an almost inevitable preaching to the converted air of consensus on a lot of subjects simply by the nature of people that find there way here cos of Mr. Cope. Don't think that's a bad thing as such - it's not Newsnight.com. As for it being 'weak', well I suppose that depends on what you expect it's function to be. Personally I've always seen it as a kind of info-point conscious raising platform and I've certainly learned stuff and benefitted from people posting on here. And I think for the most part the level of debate is pretty good. I've sniffed around other so-called political (which this isn't really) sites and been dismayed to see frequent occurences of 'issues of the day' being 'debated' in a maelstrom of red-top style invective and sub-editorial soundbites.

I certainly think there might have been flame out instances on U-Know in the past that might have put people off sticking their heads back in here again. I know I've looked at some threads and groaned cos someone's gone off on one and shit is flung hither and thither. Thing is, if Head Heritage is to function as the thing it seems to have become i.e. evolving from essentially an artists info website into a community, then I suppose it's only natural that the sense of community might take priority over the urge to harangue and cajole a debate into action. Call me a wuss, but I certainly favour the "play nice" line over "Do you want some you reactionary Capitalist Dog" simply because I like this place and the people in it and I think a bit of harmonious banter is fairly welcome at this moment in time.

I think U-Know is a thing worth having and for myself, have read interesting things on it and I think it functions pretty good in the context of Head Heritage as a whole. And if anyone disagrees I will gouge their eyes out and skull-fuck them until they're dead. 8^)
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index