48 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Jan 21, 2009, 01:46
Re: The weak forum project..
Jan 21, 2009, 01:22
um... yes, and... NO. Nononononononono... *deep breath* Noooooooo.... ;)

Your doing that thing of attaching causality after the event there, yup, thats what your doing. I don't think it has much to do with the energy, or general comfiness of potential revolutionaries. Have you read that D&G article I linked ? The modern revolutionary is on the whole indifferent, mainly as it's the only sane state to maintain when 'they know perfectly well that nothing today corresponds to their subjectivity, to their potential of energy.' So to speak, right ?

We all have a sense of social justice irrespective of our current personal economic state.

It is more true to say that the tools used by those movements, and their slogans were easily co-opted and made useless, even by those who used to wield them, or those that benefited from them.

No, the problem is none of the old models as relates to tactics, as in revolutionary tactics, work in our current social enviroment. The old tactics do work in the more industrialised and poorer areas of the world, as can be seen by the old style politcal left movements that are functioning and growin in other parts of the world (such as S.America, Sri Lanka etc). That stuff just don't work here, 'sieze the means of production' is a hollow joke here. Hey, I write software, I have a compiler on my machine, I have the means of production in this information economy. Er... now what.

Edit : Sri Lanka, that is also a nationalist struggle, so the marxist idea of a nationalist struggle being fundamentally a class struggle stands quite well there. Same goes for the Kurds and their revolutionary movement.

Over a million people can protest against something in the streets, and it has become perfectly normal, politcally acceptable if you will, for nothing to change. So we need to develop alternative tactics, more importantly to develop a way of sustaining the energy as part of the tactic as well as part of the politic. A constant mutating form (not to be confused with Permanent Revolution theory which is equally invalid in our current situation), that can press the right buttons and effect the right changes at the right time. Kind of like Virilios's 'accidents'. Of course I haven't the first fucking clue what this form would be. Hey I'm a Post Structuralist Anarchist don't expect me to provide an answer. But there are more reasons for things failing, and things regressing, than the simple comfort factor of the first world, of that I am very sure.

EDIT : OMG I forgot to say something important about Deleuze. When he uses the term 'bifurcation' he is not talking about a main body splitting into two. He's a big fan of the maths of topology (which, tbh, he doesn't really understand well enough to use in his work) and its that meaning of bifurcation as in "a bifurcation occurs when a small smooth change made to the parameter values (the bifurcation parameters) of a system causes a sudden 'qualitative' or topological change in its behaviour." that he means. A change in behaviour, not an actually splitting, caused by a small change to the systems/surfaces inputs.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index